Dom quote

Dom quote

The Michelin Guide has consistently awarded more stars to Tokyo dining establishments than any other city in the world. I created this blog as my personal Tokyo restaurant guide, but I hope you will also enjoy reading it. If you have been to any of the same places feel free to leave some comments about your own experiences.



Search for location or cuisine

Google

Thursday, 9 April 2009

Pachon, Daikanyama レストラン・パッション 代官山

Pachon has been on my "to go to" list for quite a while, so I was happy when I had the chance to pop up to Daikanyama and dine there recently for lunch. The first thing that strikes you about the restaurant is its formality, which I don't find stuffy, although the effect is to take you on a bit of time warp, albeit a pleasant one. Apart from the olde-world carpet and antique furniture there is a lovely fireplace on one side of the room where you may just see your meat being cooked. The owner and chef, a certain Monsieur Pachon is a master of the Carcassone style cassoulet, which I have had the pleasure of actually eating once in Carcassone, South West France - but that's another story.

There are a range of lunch sets you can order and my dining partner and I opted for the middle of the road Menu Gourmand which comes to just under 5,000 yen for four courses. Once you've thrown in a few glasses of wine and cheese you're looking at around 25,000 yen for lunch - so be warned! After an little amuse of tomato cream mousse with crab, for my entrée I opted for the bouillabaisse terrine and my dining partner for the asparagus which is in season. This was followed by a carrot soup, and for my main I had a couple of lamp chops which indeed were cooked over the fireplace! My dining partner chose the beef cheek. After this the cheese cart arrived and in a moment of weakness we both partook of a bit of everything. Dessert was strawberries and raspberries which were served in a champagne sauce (I think) with vanilla bean ice cream. This was followed by coffee and petit fours (particularly memorable was the orange and pistaccio calisson).

All the food was of a good standard, though hardly edgy in its conception and execution; but of course this is not why one would go to Pachon. It's not a bad place for a special date or a business dinner. The service is flawless, and I am sure nobody would feel hard done by with an invitation to such a unique Tokyo institution.


http://www.pachon.co.jp/eng/pachon/index.html
Tel: 03-3476-5025

No comments: