Dom quote

Dom quote

The Michelin Guide has consistently awarded more stars to Tokyo dining establishments than any other city in the world. I created this blog as my personal Tokyo restaurant guide, but I hope you will also enjoy reading it. If you have been to any of the same places feel free to leave some comments about your own experiences.



Search for location or cuisine

Google

Saturday, 20 September 2008

Sans Le Sou, Ogikubo ビストロ・サン・ル・スー 荻窪

I didn't really enjoy my recent lunch at San Le Sou. Not because of the food or the service, but because my dining partner happened to be undergoing a bout of nausea, which I trust was not brought on by my company! My policy on nausea is pretty straightforward - just have a good cleansing purge and then you'll feel a lot better (thinking which we could, perhaps, carry over to the current global financial crisis). Anyway, to cut a long story short, even though our converstation was mostly groans on one side and urging for purging on the other, I ended up eating both my meal and a good deal of that of my dining partner. It's an ill wind that blows no good, indeed!

The restaurant is to be found over a fairly non-descript store not far from Ogikubo station. Ogikubo itself is a rather respectable suburb with many pleasant houses and gardens. I have to admit that I would never go there unless I had a good reason, but it was interesting to have a look around.

For lunch you can order a menu of around 2,500 yen (or a little extra if you order a soup as well like I did). For the entree I ordered the cold cream mouse with crab and herbs. This was fresh and tasty. This was followed by a cold pumpkin soup, which tasted disconcertingly like the ones you buy at the supermarket. For my main I ordered breaded mustard chicken which came with vegetables, and was nice enough. However, when my dining partner's deep fried parcel of pork wrapped in spring roll pastry came out I could not contain my jealousy, tinged with the real hope that I may get to eat to this as well. As it turned out, I ate most of it - and it was definitely better than my chicken. Dessert was a blanc manger with coconut ice cream and fruit.

Overall I found the food to be competent and there were hints of creativity in the pork dish. If chef pushes himself to the next level I am sure he could do some really interesting stuff - but I also get the impression that San Le Sou is in quite a nice groove, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Tel: 03-3247-1408 http://www.walkerplus.com/tokyo/gourmet/DETAIL/V-TOKYO-2RTAL741/

1 comment:

Etsuko said...

I have not been to Sans Le Sou in Nishiogi for some time, because it's always busy when I just walk in. I love their food and service! Chef's wife's service is very attentive, but not too much. I think this place has very Nishiogi'esq to it.