Les Enfants Gâtés, Sarugakucho (Daikanyama) レザンファン ギャテ 猿楽町

Les Enfants Gâtés , which is beautifully done out in a modern art deco theme, is located just up from Namikibashi in the delightfully named Sarugakucho (I think it basically means the place where monkeys have fun, and perhaps that's why the restaurant is named in honour of spoiled children). It's an easy walk from either Shibuya or Daikanyama station.

On a recent dinner my dining partner and I had a go at their 11,000 yen course menu which, among its many courses, allows you a choice of one of eight of their terrines (which are the speciality of the house). The evening's culinary festivities kicked off with a little blancmange. This was followed by the terrine. I had chosen the lobster and tapenade and my dining partner, the rabbit. Mine was very nice, although a bit on the bland side so I made use of the coarse salt and pepper. My dining partner didn't finish his rabbit though. It kind of looked liked a half eaten tray of Cesar by that point (slap to self!).

The terrine was followed by a zucchini flower stuffed with white cheese and served in a little basil soup with vegetables. This was delicious and provided a nice lead in to the next course of sea bream which was served under its own canopy of cheese - excellent presentation! The main course was a generous and superb piece of wagyu paired with white asparagus and a few little brussels sprouts leaves (which is about as much brussels sprouts as I'd ever eat!). We had paired the earlier dishes with a decent Pouilly-Fuissé and my dining partner had a nice glass of Pinot with his meat.

My dessert was a terrine-like chequerboard of orange and prune topped with a yoghurt sorbet. This was delicious, but my dining partner's oozing raspberry fondant looked even better! Les Enfants Gâtés is notable for its refinement both in food and service. It's a top class establishment and you would do yourself no shame by inviting one of your important friends or business associates to dinner here.

http://terrine-gates.com/access/index.html
Tel: 03-3476-2929

Comments

Popular Posts