Dom quote

Dom quote

The Michelin Guide has consistently awarded more stars to Tokyo dining establishments than any other city in the world. I created this blog as my personal Tokyo restaurant guide, but I hope you will also enjoy reading it. If you have been to any of the same places feel free to leave some comments about your own experiences.



Search for location or cuisine

Google

Friday, 23 January 2009

Union Square Tokyo, Roppongi (Midtown) ユニオンスクエアトウキョウ 六本木 東京ミッドタウン

Union Square is one of my regular joints for lunch when I'm feeling like somewhere with tablecloths. It's a pleasant American style restaurant located on the ground floor at Midtown with a view over the gardens and, weather permitting, you can sit inside or outside. You can order either a la carte or from a set menu and I do either depending on what looks good. On my most recent visit for lunch I ordered the 2,800 yen menu as well as a 1,200 yen glass of pleasant Californian sparkling. Bread is served throughout the meal and a little dish of olives is provided for you to nibble on. For the entree I chose a soft sheep's cheese with smoked tomato and cauliflower tempura and, for the main, salmon with horseradish infused mashed potato. Dessert was a rice pudding with sun-dried fig and wine sauce.

On every visit I have found the food to be of a very good middle-of-the-road standard and the service friendly and efficient. My only gripe is having being thrown out off the terrace a couple of times around 3pm when I have outstayed my welcome. I will never understand how restaurants in Japan think it's good practice to throw their patrons out for the crime of lingering but, like many things in my life, I just exhale and stoically accept.


Tel: 03-5413-7780

No comments: