Dom quote

Dom quote

The Michelin Guide has consistently awarded more stars to Tokyo dining establishments than any other city in the world. I created this blog as my personal Tokyo restaurant guide, but I hope you will also enjoy reading it. If you have been to any of the same places feel free to leave some comments about your own experiences.



Search for location or cuisine

Google

Monday, 12 January 2015

The Lobby, Peninsula Hotel, Yurakucho ザ・ロビー・ザ・ペニンシュラホテル有楽町

I'm slowly working my way round all the afternoon teas on offer in Tokyo. I thought I should probably blog a few, so here we are. The Peninsula at Yurakucho has a nice offering from 2.30pm each day. The lobby itself is actually rather narrow and there's no view to speak of, so the room has a slightly cramped feeling. If this is likely to be an issue for you there is a private balcony with just one table and a private entrance. The staff are very cute and obliging and work hard to create a great experience for their guests.


You can order from a wide range of teas, more than once!


The obligatory tower. At first I thought there may not be enough food as I'd skipped lunch. I definitely need not have worried


The scones were the best I've had so far in Japan. I got them to bring out another jam and cream set (pictured above) - as it's a bit mingy for two


The mind boggles

 

http://tokyo.peninsula.com/en/fine-dining/the-lobby-afternoon-tea
03-6270 2731

1 comment:

Dave said...

As you point out, the Lobby at the Peninsula (which looks like, well, a generic hotel lobby) really isn't a great set-up for anything more than a quick morning coffee, let alone for what is supposed to be the relaxing and slightly luxurious experience of a high tea. I honestly do not remember much of their food or teas (in good or bad), but the set-up was very underwhelming.

For much nicer high teas, out of those I have seen in Tokyo so far, I would much rather recommend:

- the Mandarin Oriental: gorgeous view, elegant set-up, impeccable service and great food/tea selection.

- the Ritz Carlton: similar on all points, although slightly less impressive on food and vexingly stingy (can only select a single type of tea for the entire sitting) despite being one of the priciest high tea in Tokyo.

- the Chinzanso has a very nice view of their beautiful garden and a great selection of teas, but unfortunately loses serious points for serving scones that looked and tasted more like (American) muffins than proper scones (rest of the food menu was also a clear notch below the above).

Looking forward to reading more about your own experience with Tokyo high teas!